|The legendary Emma K and a young fan|
Today I am honoured to be writing a post about my own personal style. I was tagged by the divine Rich Asshole who has awarded the Cocktails at Naptime Blog a Stylish Blogger Award.
It may well have been the sight of our wonderful book inside the covers of style bible Cosmopolitan Pregnancy (Summer issue out now in Australia) that prompted her to bestow us with the award. But whatever prompted her to tag us I am more than welcome to air my dirty laundry and then carry out her instructions which are:
1) Thanks and linkage back to my pal. No problem. 2) Share 7 things about myself. 3) Award 15 recently discovered bloggers the Stylish Bloggers Award and 4) contact them and tell them that they, too, are Stylish.
Now Gillian may want to write her own fashion post and this post in no way reflects on her fashion choices but I have always had a bit of a checkered relationship with fashion. I have done a stint at the fashion police here in Baltimore but generally speaking I am a bit of a Jekyll and Hyde where fashion is concerned. I do scrub up fairly well but I mostly don't bother and go out without a scrap of makeup wearing sweatpants. My personal style is a mix of Bett Lynch and Catherine Deneuve. Classic tailoring with a shot of loudmouthed barmaid if you will.
|Deneuve + Lynch = Emma K|
How fashion forward am I you may well ask? Well if a truly fashion person like Anna Wintour is a Ferrari, I am more like a clumsy clown riding one of those miniature tricycles at the circus. What I mean is, I don't follow fashion. I don't understand 'current trends' or why you should wear harem pants or bunny ears to name but two daft trends.
But for now, pay close attention to the following 7 Fancy Facts:
- Until I was nine we lived in a flat with no indoor toilet or bathroom (there was a toilet in the outside hall but no bathroom anywhere). Let's just say I used to bathe at friends' places an awful lot.
- Our TV broke for about four years and mum didn't get a new one. It was quite nice in a way because I read about a million books but the downside was this was in the midst of Dallas fever and I felt a bit left out when I had no idea what they were on about when everyone at school kept talking about "Who Shot JR?"
- When I was a kid my mum used to give German lessons at our home but she could never get rid of the pupils at the end of the hour so I used to have to dress up as a grownup, go outside and ring the bell and pretend to be the next pupil.
- I have an addiction to Branston Pickle.
- I had a phase when I fancied Simon Cowell and I still can't fully explain why.
- I would not enjoy a meal of "liver with some fava beans and a nice Chianti" - I am the antithesis of a picky eater and will eat anything, with the exception of innards i.e. lungs, kidneys, liver, heart etc.
- I am a hamster killer - One winter when I was about ten, I noticed that my Syrian hamster had turned stiff and cold in his cage. Figuring, he was dead I threw him in the trash. A friend later told me that he was probably hibernating as the Syrians often do that. Yeah, I know I will burn in hell for that.